Here’s the latest video tutorial on my YouTube channel:
And here are some quick notes to accompany the video:
- Create two copies of the background layer
- Name one: Noise
- Name the other: High Pass
- Turn off the High Pass layer
- Select the Noise layer
- Select Filter > Noise > Add Noise
- Set the amount to 10%, Gaussian and Monochromatic (to avoid random lit pixels with different colours)
- You can play with the amount of noise depending on the original resolution and the final output resolution
- Set the opacity to roughly 80%
- Turn on the High Pass layer
- Select Filter > Other > High Pass
- Set the radius between 12% and 15% to taste to highlight edges and high texture areas like hair and clothing.
- Set the blend mode to Color Burn and the opacity to roughly 50% (to taste)
- Add a Brightness/Contrast adjustment layer
- Increate the Brightness to roughly 45
- Select all 3 layers and group together. Call it Grunge.
- Turn the group on and off.
- Note that the opacity of the whole group can be adjusted.